Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals at the House of Blues, Lake Buena Vista

I attended this show only due to the fact that my girlfriend received free tickets to it.  Even if I'm not a fan of the artist or even if I haven't heard of the musician I'll never turn down a free concert if I don't have to.  The show started fairly plainly in terms of the lighting aspect.  A good front and back wash with some blue accents along the back drop.  As the first song progressed the color of the accents would change as the song went from "verse" to "chorus".  By about the middle of the second song, I noticed that throughout the upstage left and right, there were these modular stands that at first glance seemed to be nothing more than decoration.  Some even had tiny disco balls hanging off the sides of them.  But after closer inspection of the stands I discovered that they were not only hiding what looked strips of 9 or 10 incandescent bulbs, but also what seemed to be type of moving fixtures akin to the Mac 250 kryptons.

By the beginning of the 3rd song, The strips of incandescent bulbs within the stand lit up, causing an effect that was like a slightly less blinding crowd blinder effect.  This effect used in conjunction with the warm amber and yellow stage wash looked very nice.  It reminded me of "The Lion King".

After that, during the 6th or 7th song, the disco balls i mentioned earlier were actually used for more than decoration.  During the bridge of the song, the stage had a very dim blue wash with almost no front light.  Then out of nowhere, two of the stand mounted movers shot a beam of white light into the two mini disco balls causing this incredible effect in the venue, making it look as if there were hundreds of super fine beams of light shooting in every direction.

All in all the show was great, especially knowing I didn't even pay to see it.

On a side note, I saw something at the House of Blues that night that didn't sit right with me.  After the show had ended, I decided to hang around for a bit and try to get a better look at all of the consoles and gear used.  Then I saw a guy come around from corner on the second floor loft with a motor control in his hand.  Without any spotters or any kind of warning to any of the patrons left on the main floor below, he started dropping one of the middle squares of truss holding a couple lights and a rather large disco ball.  Maybe because its my experience to let everyone in the venue know that truss and motors are moving.  I don't know.  I just wished I had a heads up to get off the floor before he did that.  Like I said, It didn't sit well with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment